Thursday, May 3, 2012

crockpot beer chicken tacos

this recipe is so simple and so delicious! my whole family LOVED these! AJ finished every last piece of chicken on her plate (and she normally throws all meat over the side of her highchair for the dogs to enjoy!) Oli kept asking for more and Frank said something like "these better start going into our normal rotation. these are amazing! i wish there was more!!" it could have been something else because he was saying it with a mouth full of taco, but i think i got it right lol. and i loved this recipe just based on how easy it was ( add to that how good it actually was and then add to THAT how much my family loved it and i think i could make this everyday!) oh i think i should also mention here that my husband has never actually LIKED a crockpot recipe before so i didn't have high hopes when i decided to make this... which made me all the more surprised when he said he liked it. I was like "Are you really hungry?" (you know how things tend to taste better when you are really hungry than they do when you are only moderately hungry?)

The weather here is starting to get warm again, so i was looking for a recipe that wouldn't involve the oven and making my house already hotter than it was. (I'm trying to put off turning the a/c on as long as possible) This was perfect! I threw it in the crockpot when i woke up and it was ready when my family was hungry for dinner. I couldn't ask for more! Enough back story... heres the recipe lol

Crockpot Beer Chicken Tacos
from http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/01/crockpot-cheddar-beer-chicken-tacos/

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 beer (i used bud light because its what i had on hand)
1 packet taco seasoning (I used taco bell taco seasoning)
corn tortillas
toppings of your choice such as cheese, avocado, lettuce, sour cream, salsa

Mix beer and taco seasoning in a bowl (or even in the crockpot) until well combined. Place chicken in crockpot and pour beer/seasoning mixture over it. (Or just put chicken over mixture if you mixed in crockpot)

Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4 hours. When chicken is cooked thoroughly, take two forks and begin to shred by pulling against the grain of the chicken (does that make sense? i feel like that's how i've heard it described before but now i'm not certain lol) I did this by taking the chicken breast out and shredding on a cutting board but you can do it while its in the crockpot. I then placed the shredded chicken back in the liquid mixture and put the crockpot on warm until we were ready to eat!


When serving, put chicken on heated tortilla and top with desired extras! We just used cheese, lettuce and salsa (we ran out of avocado) and it was amazing! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did!

*UPDATE- i have since made this several times. i used frozen chicken breasts and cooked on high for 6 hours and low for an additional hour. turned out awesome! (also i have to say that the first few times i used bud light but i made this yesterday and used miller lite and my husband tasted a difference and liked the bud light better... he prefers bud light to miller lite however. and i liked the miller lite better than the bud light but thats what i prefer to drink as well) anyways, that was enough of a ramble. i guess what i am trying to say, use a beer that you like because it seems to make a difference lol

1 comment:

  1. I just made these and it turned out amazing! I used Michelob Ultra. It's restored my faith in crokpot cooking! Thanks Tia Natalie ;-)

    ReplyDelete